Auckland off-road running blog

Welcome to Trailophile - a blog with information about off-road running trails in and around the Auckland area.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Okura Bush: Haighs Access Rd to Dacre Cottage

Okura Bush: Haighs Access Road to Dacre Cottage

Last weekend we went for a run in Okura Bush just north of Long Bay. From Haighs Access Rd there's a pretty track along the coastline through mature native forest. After long slow incline up a headland and a steep descent with many stairs, the track reaches up at Karapiro Bay - a nice north-facing beach.

Okura Bush Walkway

The total Okura Bush Walkway track runs from Haigh's Access Rd in the south to Duck Creek Rd in Stillwater in the north. You can do this track one of the two entry points: from the Haigh's Access Rd end, or the Stillwater end. Total length of the track is about 8km.

My failed run

We intended to an out and back from Haigh's Access Road to Dacre Cottage (an historic homestead on Karepiro Bay). This is a track which we have done several times before - both by ourselves and at events such as the Totalsport Trailfest in February 2010 (unfortunately the Trailfest webpage now shows info for the 2011 Trailfest in Riverhead). The total distance out and back is about 10k.

But unfortunately, I must confess that I did not finish today's run - in fact I gave up after about 10 minutes! I don’t have any excuse except from being absolutely shattered from a 7km run the day before followed by a 12-hour gardening marathon. If there’s one thing that 10+ years of running and overcoming a calf injury has taught me, it’s listen to your body. I just needed some food and a rest. Better sacrifice one run than get injured.

So, sorry, I didn’t run this one. And took hardly any pictures :(

After my failed attempt, we went for Mexican food at Hola! Mexican restaurant in Orewa. I thought it was gonna be great, but the fajita (vege option) was a bit bland. It was also absolutely smothered in cheese so that cheese overwhelmed every mouthful (yes, and probably not vegetarian cheese either!) Kelvin enjoyed his quesadillas though.

To make up for my failed meal after my failed run, I even got an icecream on the way home. I felt like a kid wagging school, missing out on my first trailophile run in seven weeks! The ice cream was also a disappointment. It was a Kapiti boysenberry chocolate thing. I just think I'm not that big a fan of ice cream. Give me chocolate by itself any day.

But I can reassure you, Okura is one of the best off-road running tracks you will find. It’s accessible, pretty, has good quality tracks, ends up somewhere scenic, and you can drive there in about 20 mins from central Auckland.

The only downside is that other people love Okura too, and it is often busy. I always feel a tiny bit naughty running where I know a lot of people are going on day walks with families – there’s nothing worse than going round a corner and nearly tripping over little kids! But there is quite a lot of room here and people always look intrigued to see runners and not at all annoyed by them. Walkers are generally very tolerant of runners on a track, I've found. What do you think?

Anyway, despite the failed attempt last Sunday, I feel I am qualified enough from previous experience to give you an evaluation for this trail anyway, see below. But first, the map:

Map
This track is managed by the Department of Conservation. See the Okura Bush Walkway page on the DOC website for details about the track and a PDF map.

Evaluation
  • Distance: approx 10 km
  • Terrain: Medium-sized hills. A nice balance: they are doable hills- none are horrendously steep - but still enough for a challenge.
  • Track type and condition: Well maintained NZ native bush track. When you get to Karapiro beach you'll run on sand for a while.
  • Mud: I suspect we turned around before we hit the muddy bits. This track can be a bit muddy but not so that your shoes get completely covered.
  • Views: Up on the headland before you reach the beach there are some nice views out to the east through the trees.
  • Novelty: For us, not very novel as we had been here before many times, but for first timers it's a great find.
  • Remoteness: This track is quite close to Auckland, and suburbia is moving ever closer. You can see flash houses on lifestyle blocks from the start of the track. But the beaches are only accessible from private land and this track which makes them very remote which is nice!
  • Toilets: None on this part of the track. There are toilets at the Stillwater end only.
  • Crowd factor: You're bound to see someone on this track if you keep normal hours - it's very popular with walkers and runners alike.
  • Watch out for: Sunburn along the Karepiro Bay part - there's not much shade after being in the nice cool forest.
  • Extra for experts: Do the whole track - to Stillwater and back! Or start at Stillwater and run the whole thing. I'm keen to do the Stillwater end of the track again sometime soon and you'll definitely hear about it in this blog when I do!
Verdict
As close to a perfect trail run that you can get: close to town, native bush, good tracks, nice scenery, challenging enough terrain... No wonder it's a favourite among walkers and off-road runners alike!

No comments: